Cindy - band leader, voice, mandolin, tamborine,
Sarah - drums, voice, whistle
Monica - fiddle, voice
Nen - electric guitar
Neil - roadie
- Leave Vancouver 5:30am, girls in rental mini-van,
boys in Nen's '88 vehicle.
- Breakfast in Hope sees Sarah spilling orange juice all over table
and her crotch, and Monica's high decibel levels attracts cute hydro
workers in red jumpsuits.
- Nen's car begins leaking transmission fluid east of Revelstoke.
- We think we fix it and press on.
- Monica and Neil switch cars.
- The mini-van rental loses sight of Nen's car, so we wait roadside
in Canmore, then go to our gig at the Ship & Anchor in Calgary.
- Nen's car has more problems.
- Nen and Monica make friends with truckers, curse us, and have philosophical
discussions before crawling into Calgary.
- Dave, the Ship & Anchor promoter, is super sweet and babysits
us the rest of the night!
- We include a Creeper song from FUBAR in our set for our cute host
- Cindy drinks a beer abandoned in bathroom.
- Latin lover forces Cindy to dance, causing her to smash into a girl's
- Craig escorts us girls to his bachelor pad.
- Sarah chooses not to share hide-a-bed
- When folding up hide-a-bed, Cindy discovers old used condom on bedroom
floor. Sarah later discloses that this is why she fled.
- $30 permit parking ticket on windshield of rental. After consulting
Neil, Cindy throws it in garbage.
- We wander aimlessly around quaint area of Calgary, sort of looking
- Monica's friend frightens our host by breastfeeding in his front yard.
- We leave Nen's smoky car in Calgary, and head for Canmore.
- At the Canmore Hotel, Cindy inquires about our hotel rooms, snagging
the only room with its own TV and bathroom. Bonus: everyone gets their
- We are delighted to discover the Buttless Chaps in front of the big
screen TV in the bar. It's love at first sight.
- Super cool bartender, Desi, feeds us lots of nice beer all night long.
- A very drunk hotel employee, Linda, informs us that she's the crazy
spoon lady who will play during both our sets.
- The bar fills with an odd assortment of frat/sorority types and trashy
aggressive locals who'd rather hear some hard rock. Monica obliges by
screaming "I Want To Be Your Dog". They make Neil and The
Buttless Chaps nervous.
- During our set, we are oblivious to continuously hurled epithets such
as "show us your tits!"
- Buttless Chap Dave Gowans unsuccessfully tries to squeeze into a Tennessee
Twin tank top.
- While dancing to The Buttless Chaps, Linda's one-eyed boyfriend propositions
Cindy to a threesome. Cindy declines.
- All over the bar, people are making out and fights break out.
- We tell The Buttless Chaps that they have to party with us after the
show, so they do.
- The party is in Cindy's swank hotel room.
- Very early in the morning, Buttless Chap Morgan knocks on Cindy's
door to retrieve his shoes from the party room.
- Cindy wakes up and doesn't know where she is.
- Cindy (in pajamas) and Monica go to breakfast with The Buttless Chaps.
- Parting with the Chaps is such sweet sorrow. We go our separate ways.
- We gather Nen's car in Calgary and drive carefully and slowly to Edmonton.
- Cindy is hung over, maybe Nen and Neil are too.
- Upon arriving at the Rev Cabaret, we eventually discover that the
promoter has called in sick.
- The backstage room smells rotten and surely hasn't been cleaned since
the New Pornographers and the Gay were there.
- No bathroom in sight.
- The Smugglers are all ill. No one wants to party with us.
- Cindy tries to do the splits on stage, but no one is there to see
- Mark Kleiner and his brother are hilarious.
- Cindy vainly tries to locate her camera as she witnesses the Smugglers
doing yoga backstage in their white jumpsuits.
- We dance with Operation Makeout.
- Cindy uses empty beer bottles to clap for the Smugglers. They break.
- Monica purchases hideous moose baseball cap very early in the morning.
- We leave Nen's car with his parents in Edmonton. Neil commandeers
the rental eastward.
- We stop for lunch in Vegreville, home of a giant Easter egg and anti-choice
- Cindy steals a coffee mug from Albert's family style restaurant. Others
- We take lots of photos with the
giant Easter egg.
- Nen tickles Neil or something while he's driving and we narrowly escape
death from ramming into a truck.
- At Amigo's, our promoter Brandt is very sweet and takes good care
- We are fed well, even the vegetarian, and we get to stay in a cool
old hotel called the Senator. Cindy is assigned the cold, small, haunted
room, while the others share the party room.
- Not many turn out for our show. Maybe Labor Day weekend isn't the
best time for touring in this neck of the woods. The few and the proud
are enthusiastic, and we actually play well and sell merch.
- Mark Kleiner's pal Jody Cason opens for us, and we fall in love with
her. Her lyrics are clever, her voice is sweet.
- Once again everyone else jams long after Cindy leaves the stage, giving
her more time to drink.
- Back at the hotel party room, we laugh, drink, smoke.
- Cindy goes back to her haunted room to pass out.
- Neil gets half naked and attacks everyone, but they fend him off with
a loaded camera.
- Saskatoon is closed on Sundays, so we drive back to Edmonton.
- Everyone tries to prevent Cindy from driving again after she played
The Louvin Brothers "Satan Is Real".
- Back in Edmonton, Nen's parents decide to host a BBQ for us!
- Cindy immediately endears herself to Nen's parents by going shopping
with them at the IGA and by revealing her Croatian heritage.
- Almost everyone eats big steaks.
- Nen's mom finds places for us all to sleep at the expense of those
who live there. She also gives the girls fresh matching pajamas to wear!
- Early in the morning, we discover Nen and his dad crashed out in front
of the TV with sports playing. How cute.
- Nen's sweet mom gives us each a cute little present for the road!
- Leaving Nen behind, we leave by 7:30AM.
- At the Coquihalla tollbooth, we encounter a line-up. Over an hour
later we hear there's a huge pile-up.
- After a brief argument over who's gonna eat whom, we discover an opening
in the median, so we turn around, go back to Merritt and take Hwy. 3
- At dusk, Cindy is elected to drive. It gets dark. Torrents of rain.
- Super curvy road. Lots of backseat driving.
- We survive the tour, arriving back home by midnight. We all have to
work the next day. We kiss goodby and hope not to run into each other
GO --> HOME
Last Updated: 09.20.02; diary entry #5 & #6
Design & Layout: Modern
Soul Records, 2002
All content & images © The Tennessee Twin except where noted.
Kindly ask permission
before using anything from this site please.